Monday, February 18, 2008

there she stands in her navy blue dress, sparkling like the night sky.

One of my favorite drag queens lip-synched to "I Can Only Imagine" the other night and I felt more touched by watching her perform the song than I have in a while. She performed it respectfully enough, no flashy show or dance routine that is her usual trademark. I wasn't moved to tears, nor was I compelled to start praying right then and there, but I was touched.
A friend remarked, "Only in the south can a drag queen get up on stage and perform a religious song." Maybe she was right, but still... think about it... a drag queen. singing a religious song in a cabaret performance. I'm sure many would cross themselves right then and there at the very notion, but I was moved.

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine

[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine

[Chorus]

I can only imagine [x2]

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you



I was moved. Because according to my personal beliefs this person will get to heaven or wherever it is that we all go. This person will be accepted. This person can sing "I Can Only Imagine" and truly imagine.

I get tired of all of the hype around judging other's lifestyles. They're going to hell because they do this or that... because they are gay or worse yet, because they are gay and dress in women's clothing! If there is a Jesus, I would imagine he's a pretty cool guy. He didn't do too bad when he was here on earth and people often forget that he was accepting of everyone, regardless of lifestyle or preference. Everyone was found deserving of his love and his love changed lives.

I can only imagine a drag queen greeting Jesus and singing at the top of her lungs for him while he smiles on and then accepts her with open arms.

No comments: